John Legere, the colorful and longtime chief executive of T-Mobile, will step down at the end of April after his contract expires.
He will be succeeded by Mike Sievert, the president and chief operating officer of the wireless company, the company said Monday.
Mr. Legere, who has been credited with reviving T-Mobile since becoming its chief executive in 2012, is stepping down as part of what the company called “a comprehensive, multiyear, leadership succession planning process.”
He will focus on closing T-Mobile’s pending acquisition of Sprint while transitioning leadership to Mr. Sievert and will remain a member of the T-Mobile board, the company said on Monday.
T-Mobile didn’t say what Mr. Legere’s plans are. He was reportedly one of several candidates who had been considered to run WeWork, the beleaguered office rental company, but Mr. Legere said he’d never had talks with the company.
“I was never having discussions to run WeWork, and because we had this announcement pending, I couldn’t say it but it did create a weird awkward period of time,” he said on a call on Monday.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.